Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Confrontational Guilt" from Say the Word


Confrontational Guilt
            The physical altercation I had in front of my son changed who I was as adult and a parent. I cannot justify my actions on why it happened; however, I will admit that I affected my son’s behavior. Preventive measures were out the door when the altercation took place. During the quarrel I glanced over at my car, and saw the look on my son’s face. I felt embarrassed; in fact, I was even more shocked at his actions, he was cheering me on.
            My actions took a negative effect on my son’s behavior, after witnessing the way I handled disputes and arguments. He started getting in trouble at school for fighting; as a result, he was suspended. I shared part of the blame. It was my duty as a parent to help my son overcome his violent behavior. I took several measures, which included explaining to him that my actions were wrong, and ultimately caused me to act out, and that lead to a fight. I have taken steps in assisting my son with his anger issues. There are other ways to resolve disputes, for example, you can walk away, keep quiet, or make a report to a higher authority.
            A change took place for me and my son. His teacher suggested counseling or therapy; although I had doubts, nevertheless, I agreed. After he started counseling sessions, finally, I initiated treatment for myself regarding my anger issues. Our behaviors did not change overnight, but I saw he was a little more humble as the days went on. The effect it had on him changed my life. I realized I had someone that looked up to me, and watched my every move, soaking it up like a sponge.
We as parents are our children’s biggest heroes. Although some people categorize counseling and therapy with being crazy or having psychological disorders, addressing issues and taking the necessary steps will help you with being the best person you can be. You become more complete in whom you are. The steps I took after the altercation is what made me a better parent, and a more responsible adult. I look forward to being a positive role model for my son, and people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment