Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Away from the Noise" from Say the Word


Away from the Noise
            There is a quote that says “When the uniqueness of a place sings to us like a melody, then we will know, at last what it means to be at home.” There is no greater feeling than to be in a place that you love so much that it consumes you, and drowns out the trials of life. On 49th and Western sits a church named Lewis Metropolitan and this is where I go to get away from the noise.
            Church for some is just a place to go on Sunday out of ritual; some go because of the expectation of family and friends to see them there. But for me it is a must! Lewis Metropolitan is a large gated white and brown building. It has many rooms within, but my favorite place is the sanctuary; there you will find three rows of pews that reach to the back of the church where congregants sit during service. There is a piano, a set of drums, and an organ that sit up on a platform near more pews where the choir sings. High on the south wall you can’t help but notice a big wooden cross that is symbolic of not only the suffering, but more so the victory that was accomplished on the cross. Upon arriving on a Sunday morning, you are met by the fragrance of fresh flowers that are delivered each week. In the sanctuary you hear songs of praise that fall from the lips of the choir, as the aforementioned piano, drums, and organ all join in together in harmony. If you listen closely you can hear the snickers of children as they enjoy each other’s company, the clapping of hands, and the shouts of hallelujah from those who are thankful to have gotten through another trying week. Towards the back one person always stands out to me. There sits Mrs. Cleo Thomas, who is now 96 years old, who still serves as an usher and although she can no longer stand she sits and passes out programs to visitors and members as they come through the door. Her faithfulness brings a smile to all.
            In history we can find something called the sanctuary movement. It was here where many who were seeking asylum from their countries found the sanctuary as a place of refuge. These individuals were fleeing from violence, pain, poverty, war, and the harsh realities of life. I too know the feeling of running for my life so to speak, and at a crucial time in my life when the world was loud and hurtful, and its trials were tossing me to and fro, I found refuge in the sanctuary. In the sanctuary I feel safe I come here as my spiritual gas station to refill when life has drained me to a feeling of emptiness. I have so much joy when I am there. I can close my eyes and lift up my hands and hear God speak to me in a still small voice reminding me that he will never leave me nor forsake me.
            The sanctuary is important to me for so many reasons, but mainly because of the joy and strength that it gives me. So although Jamaica might have its white sand, and Hawaii has mesmerizing blue water, when I need a getaway I just make my way to the sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment